The C-47 was the military designation for the Douglas DC-3, first flown in December 1941. Over 10,000 were produced, some still flying today. The C-47 differed from the civilian DC-3 in numerous modifications, including being fitted with a cargo door, hoist attachment, and strengthened floor, along with a shortened tail cone for glider towing shackles. The C-47 was the primary “tow plane” for the WACO CG-4 gliders during the D-day landing.
The C-47 had a 96’ wing span. Scaling to .44” = 1 ft. (same scale as our WACO CG-4 glider) gave us a span of 42”. Unfortunately to accommodate the 7” props, we had to add 1 1/2” to the wing on both sides between the engine nacelle and fuselage. Giving the BMJR C-47 a span of 45”. This is the only deviation from the scale 3 view.