The pinnace was a lightly built, carvel planked boat. Designed to be rowed it had fewer than ten oars. Its only duty was transporting the captain and other officers from their anchored ship to the dockyards. Carrying crew and provisions was the job of heavier boats like the longboat or launch.
Designed by master ship modeller Chuck Passaro, our model replicates a 21-foot English pinnace inspired by similar contemporary models in National Maritime Museum of England. Plank-on-frame construction uses the finest laser cut basswood for the false keel & ribs. Planking strips, and other wooden components are provided for the floorboards, cap rail and thwarts.
Model Shipways Kits
Speciality kits designed and made in the USA. Model Shipways have been manufacturing wooden ship model kits since 1946 and are known for the use of high quality materials, precision cut parts and clearly written, highly detailed instructions and plans. There is something for everyone, the solid hull ships are designed for the first time modeller and the true plank on frame and plank on bulkhead are more suitable for the more advanced model ship builder.
- Other materials include cast metal anchor and stern transom, eyebolts, plus scale rigging. Pre-printed side friezes and rudder decorations are included as well.
- Model Shipways Kit No. MS1458
- Scale 1/2” = 1 ft. (1:24)
- Model is 11-3/4" long and 2-1/2" high
- Difficulty Rating: Advanced Level